12 February 2010

LDS Family History Library Catalog helps me find my great great Grandfather


I've been wanting to learn more about my great grandfather Opapo Fonoimoana. Though I have many family stories that have been told to me and I am so grateful for all of my family in sharing information. I wanted to see what I could find out on my own. So I put up a search online and came across this site http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~samoawgw/research.html Since my great grandfather was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I did see a film that interested me called, Record of members 1888-1951. I ordered this film and so happy when I came across his name and found other members of his family. In all this excitement I had known that Opapo Fonoimoana helped establish the village of Sauniatu. I then again went into the LDS Family Library Catalog
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp and found a film of the branch of Sauniatu. Here was the treasure!!! In this film the Mormon missionaries had recorded what my great grandfather Opapo had said in some meetings and recorded his actual movements around the village, the island and with the people. Wow! I'm still in the process of looking at more film and just happy for what I've found. It really put Opapo Fonoimoana in a different light for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment