28 March 2012

1940 US Census. The Greatest Generation


The 1940 US Census is totally exciting for me!! I look at it as the beginning of my dad’s life, even though he was born in 1941. I will learn alot about his side of the family. This census will be the first that will include my dad's parents as a married couple and my dad's siblings will be there, too. I'll be looking for extended family in Hawai'i, California and American Samoa. I’m hoping that it will answer some questions in my Samoan genealogy. For me, the 1940‘s is the Greatest Generation because its the beginning of dad's life.

My dad, Larry Fonoimoana was born on April 1, 1941 in Kahuku, Hawaii. He attended Laie Elementary School. In 1953, my grandparents moved the family to Alameda, California. My dad graduated in 1959 from Encinal High School in Alameda.
 Right after graduation, he joined the Marines and did three tours to Vietnam, with an honorable discharge in 1969. A few years later he married my mom. Hats off to ya dad!!


E a le puga nisi, a le'ana nisi.
Let each do his share of the work.

Help in the Community Project to index the 1940 US Census. 
It helps everyone find their aiga (family).

If you'd like to be a part of indexing the 1940 US Census sign up to help. It's free to sign up. Don't know about indexing click here to the 1940 US Census training site. While you're at it, visit the 1940 Main Blog Indexing Practice Contest. Enter for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Fire.
To get ready, FamilySearch is hosting one last Google+ hangout before the offical release. Click here for details.
Disclosure: As part of the 1940 Census Ambassador Program this blog post enters me into a drawing for the Amazon Kindle Fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment