11 April 2012

Aaaaww...different spellings of Grandpa Teila first name??


I very rarely go on the Familylink website. I got an email update from Dick Eastman’s Online Genealogy Newsletter. He posted a blog on April 9, 2012 “Entire 1940 USA Census now Avaliable on Familylink.
Woohoooo!!! I clicked on the link and went straight to Hawaii. I thought, “I need the enumeration number. Where do I get that?” I remembered I had a link to 1940 Enumeration District Maps in One Step. I typed in the island as Oahu and county as Laie. My result was Enumeration District 2-171 Laie. I went back to Familylink.com clicked on Hawaii, inputted the ED 2-171, scrolled a few sheets and there were my grandparents. Teila and Mataniu Fonoimoana showing for the first time in a census as a married couple. 


I first noticed the spelling of my grandpa's first name. He has three different spellings for his first name. Any one of these spellings could appear on any documents that I seek for him. They are: Taila, Teila & Taylor. The reasons for the different spellings could be:
     -The person (Samoan or other) who is writing my grandpa's name on the document only asks what is his name and not how to spell it. So, the person comes up with his own version.
     -Since the name sounds American, the person thinks its spelled Taylor, and doesn't ask for the spelling.
     -My grandpa comes up with his own Samoan version.
     -Other members came up with their own versions. 
and probably many many more reasons. 
Needless to say, I've had to look for all three versions of my grandpa's first name.

 This also goes for all my Samoan research. Each name I do research for there are at least 2-4 different versions of the name.
      One reason is the Samoan titles. When a man or woman receives a title he or she is no longer known by the birth name but by the Title name.
       I read a Samoan journal on microfilm of an accounting about a man who was just baptized into a Church. The day he was baptized he says he was a new man and no longer went by his birth   name   and   choose a  new name and announced this to the congregation and told them  to  call  him  by this  new  name  from  that day forward. The man was 39.
       Some Samoan names are long and the family may only use half of the name. It could be the first half or the second half of name. Ooohh and this could either be the first name or the last name. Maybe even both.

Well, I'm going to look into this record more....see what else I learn.

What have you found in the 1940 US Census? Comment below.

https://the1940census.com/getting-started/ Please help and index.
https://the1940census.com/blog/ Check out the 1940 US Census Blog to keep updated on the latest news. Encourage others to view it and comment. Always great to hear comments!
Fa'afetai lava!!


No comments:

Post a Comment